Websites are the cornerstone of business. While you may have a ground store, customers expect you to maintain an online presence to ensure that they are up-to-date on your latest offerings. With online sales reaching over $250 billion dollars in the last year, it is essential to have a fully operational website that is aesthetically pleasing and adheres to the best design practices.
Web design can be broken down into many facets. The most important includes:
- Layout: The general layout of a website must be user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing. From drafting to graphic creation, the layout is what will keep users on a website long enough to read your content or buy your products.
- Functionality: What and how will users utilize a website? This is everything from user account creation to sending an email to customer service. The functionality may be minimal where users can simply view content or purchase a product, or it can be a system that is custom developed to meet a client’s needs.
- Compatibility: The way that a website looks to users utilizing different browsers and screen sizes is of the utmost importance. The right approach will allow a site to be viewed on any browser or screen resolution without stretched images, scrolling or unreadable fonts.
Web design can also include the following:
- Standard CMS: The use of WordPress, Drupal or a variety of other content management systems. These systems allow the design process to be completed rapidly and offer plugins to further enhance and manage a website.
- Custom CMS: Custom development allows for a completely unique content management system to be put in place. This will be used for unique applications wherein a standard CMS will not be possible, or when a standard CMS simply has too much bloat to be a viable option.
The design process is intricate and working with an experienced web designer will ensure that a website has the functionality, ease-of-use and layout needed by viewers. Every website is unique and must not only look pleasing, but meet the expectations of the client’s target audience.
The moment a person lands on your site, there is less than 10 seconds to retain their attention. Using the wrong design techniques will:
- Cause your site to be slow
- Make viewing your site in different browsers impossible
- Cost you valuable leads
- Cost more money to maintain
- Require you to always rely on a web designer for minor updates
- Reduce your chances of online success
- Lower your rankings in the search engines
At Lubbock Web Guy, we adhere to the best design practices to ensure that your website is ready for viewers. Our web design services includes the following: